With the growing awareness of healthy living among the modern generation, more and more people are now adopting organic foods to stay healthy.
This is why the Indian organic food market anticipates a rise of 25% in the years to come, and there is enormous leeway to venture into the organic food business.
Also, for people who don’t know, organic foods are foods that grow organically without the use of chemical-based fertilizers and pesticides that make them harmless to humans and the environment.
In view of this benefit for health and the environment, the demand for organic food is increasing day by day. So it is a great idea to start an organic food store in India either with your savings or by getting a grocery loan.
Tips for starting an organic food business in India
The process of opening an organic food store in India requires the consideration of several factors before the store settles down and begins marketing the products. Mentioned below are some steps required to start an organic food store in India.
1. Identify your target customers.
Nowadays, many people have started to pay more attention to a healthy lifestyle. Organic food signifies the safe and healthy nature of food products, which is in huge demand among health conscious people.
In addition, organic food products are generally more expensive than conventional food products. Therefore, customers who can spend on healthy products should be your target customers.
Hence, the choice of the location of the organic store where more and more health-conscious people from upper middle class economic backgrounds reside.
2. Choose an appropriate business store location.
The process of starting an organic store should include selecting a suitable business location, the purchasing power of the customers, the competitors working in that area, and the applicable rent if you want to start your business in a rented location. Here are some things to keep in mind when choosing a suitable business location.
- Ideal location: The location of the organic store should be kept in a location that is easily convenient for customers. The store area with the convenience of parking in a crowded market is an added benefit that helps you attract more customers.
- Store rental: You have to pay a minimum of INR 10,000 per month rent from an organic food store with decent space to store your categories of organic products. However, make sure you don’t pay more than 4% of your cumulative product sales for store rent.
- Competition analysis: You also need to analyze the opponents in the target area. Also, if there are many organic stores near your store, it would become more difficult for you to run a successful business.
However, sometimes you have no choice but to choose a competitive market due to the colossal need for organic food products in a particular location.
In this case, it is crucial to understand the strengths and vulnerabilities of your competitors in the market. In addition, it is essential to create better promotion and marketing strategies to face the competition and maintain a competitive position in the industry.
3. Register your organic food business.
Choose an appropriate business mix for your local organic food business. Company structures in India include partnership, sole proprietorship, sole proprietorship, limited liability company, limited liability company and public limited company.
However, if you are a single business owner, a sole proprietorship is the most suitable and practical business structure for a business owner. GST registration.
4. Achieve food securityty license, trade, and organic certification.
To open an organic food store in India, apply for a checking account in your business name at your preferred bank. Statutory regulations for receiving the business license to open an organic store may vary in each Indian state.
Bank statement, PAN card, and store rental lease (or any other document relating to premises) are vital documents needed to obtain a business license. Apart from that, you need to apply for the following certifications.
- FSSAI license: If you are planning to produce organic food and market in your organic store, then a FSSAI license is crucial for quality assurance and food safety.
- GST registration: GST (Goods and Services Tax) is only required when your organic store business exceeds the annual turnover limit of INR 20 lakhs. You can choose to apply for GST registration after opening your organic food store. Nevertheless, you cannot neglect obtaining licenses or a GST or MSME registration since your business development depends on these certifications.
- Organic food certification: The Indian government’s National Program for Organic Production (NPOP) oversees the certification of organic food in India. In addition, the India Organic label is essential for your organic food product to be accepted as an organic product.
5. Promotion and advertising.
To be successful in your organic food business, you must set yourself apart from your competition. Nonetheless, as a newly established business, marketing the best-selling food labels is the more prudent choice at the primary stage.
However, you can attract customers by lowering your profit margin and price-based advertisements, such as discounts for a limited period, to gain market share in your target area.
You can also offer coupons to attract more new customers. Also, the best way to promote your organic food business is not to invest in Social Media Marketing (SMM).
Additionally, bulk SMS marketing, print brochures, and billboard ads are affordable ads and promotional strategies.
The bottom line
To sum up, organic food is one of the few classes to fall into the high-margin, large-scale opportunity bracket. As customers’ attention to healthy, natural foods grows exponentially, they are willing to spend more and more money on organic foods.
In addition, with health and healthy lifestyles increasingly a priority, MRP has taken a step back when purchasing organic food. In short, with increased purchasing power and awareness, these organic products are not only gaining popularity but are gaining an essential place in shopping baskets.
If you want to get a working capital loan for the creation of your organic store business, Zippstop can be your ideal partner. Ziploan is a leading NBFC in India, well known for its quick loan disbursement and affordable interest rate.